Saturday, October 1, 2011

Former Albertan doctor with public and private system experience favours public health care

Politicians pushing privatization not doing their jobs.

Public Values
September 23, 2011

Dr. Robert Ross
Dr. Robert Ross is well qualified to pass judgment on the private, for-profit delivery of health care, having experienced systems in Canada and the USA. Returning to Canada to care for an elderly parent allows Dr. Ross to compare systems and offer unconditional support for public health care. He writes in the Edmonton Journal.

"It is said that one measure of a society's evolution is how it cares for the old and infirm. On this measure, my home province fails miserably.

I have just returned from the Canmore Hospital where my father was admitted with a fractured hip.

He is 94 years of age, still relatively mobile and of comparatively sound mind so I don't expect miracles, but I do want enough hospital staff to physically help with care when he is in severe pain and requires my assistance just to transfer from bed to chair, or use a commode while maintaining some degree of dignity..."

For the complete article, please click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment